Training Day


Koji and Rashmi add Alexis to their training sessions. "So essentially you want me to run through an obstacle course of death while I'm getting magical artillery rained down on me." "No, more like you're gonna be running through trees while Koji-kun shoots high-power waterballoons at you." (CW: mild language)

Date: 2018-02-01
Pose Count: 20
Rashmi Terios 2018-02-01 17:56:17 88445
It is time to bring Alex into the training sessions!

Since Koji and Rashmi like to change up where they go, this time it's the woods outside the Hikawa Shrine. And, given that she happens to know who lives and works here, Rashmi has passed word along through the ECFH that there is going to be magic happening in the woods, and not to worry it's not a threat.

With the Barrier down, and the trio shunted off half a dimension over, Rashmi quickly swaps into her Barrier Jacket, and grins at the boys. "Hi! Ready to have some fun?"
Koji Silvia 2018-02-01 18:13:01 88447
As the Barrier goes up, and the pair feel the dimensional shift around them, Koji takes a moment to take off his glasses, even as the trio of pencils and pens pop out of his pocket and float in the air... reshaping after a few moments into the Bit forms that are now so familiar for the (only slightly) senior male Mage. They assume positions of head-heart-limbs and a hologram of Tyrfing's own projected and independent form appear next to him even as Koji's form is washed with blue-light of two triangular diagrams sweeping up and down along him to shift him into his Knight Cloth.

At this words, Tyrfing grins and punches his virtual hands together, You're gonna make me use trainin' mode on him, ain't you. Don't see why... kid always looked tough enough to take a few hits.

For his own part Koji sighs and gives a shrug, "I suppose? Mom thinks we're studying at the library. I'm expecting Dad to text me ANY MINUTE now telling me to kiss you or something."
Alexis Raskoph 2018-02-01 18:13:15 88448
Alex, thankfully, isn't required to make any excuses for his mom and dad about where he is.

What with... well. THem being evil jerks, as it turns out.

So when he came along and shifted to his Knight Armor, with the longcoat and helmet and all, he's perfectly calm about things. With arms bearing massive gauntlets crossed over his chest.

USER IS NOT YET FULLY FAMILIARIZED WITH MAGE-TO-MAGE COMBAT, KRiegsfauste declares, in apparent response to Tyrfing. FULL RECOVERY ALSO STILL UNDERWAY. FULL COMBAT CAPACITY NOT RECOMMENDED.

At this, the helmeted head of Stahlritter tilts down to peer at the gauntlets. "...Could you maybe not talk about me like I am not here and *actively wearing you*?"
Rashmi Terios 2018-02-01 18:23:13 88449
"It was more a caution for us, Alexis-san," Rashmi chuckles. "So okay... Given our capabilities, I think we'll make the first round an obstacle course under bombardment? Nicomachea and I'll be the youma, and Koji-kun and Tyrfing'll be the aerial support. Alexis-san, what you want to do is go to the edge of the Barrier, and try to land a punch on my shield. We'll all keep our output down for now, but you'll still feel hits."

At Koji's statement, Rashmi pats the boy on the shoulder. "We could go to Akiba afterward? Get some udon?"
Koji Silvia 2018-02-01 18:36:47 88451
It takes Koji a couple seconds, "Just to be clear, we're going back on the 'Koji, don't shoot at Alex' thing from earlier, right?"

The huge anthroform snow leopard starts laughing, and then just shakes his head as that big burly furred arm comes up and rubs the back of his virtual head, Oh man, I love these old-school Belkan Knight Devices. Don't worry kid... all you gotta do's earn Kriegsfauste's respect, and he'll stop acting like like a jackass. If the Professor can get used to ME, you should be able to wrangle to the Old Man there.

The laughter continues even as the hologram dissipates and the six Bits form up around Koji, three of them going to his feet and forming a Shield that becomes a platform for Koji to float on, even as his eyes glow and a brief wind picks up around him as he intones, "Tyrfing, Barriereform."

He replies to Rashmi with a smile, "Udon sounds good. Don't forget your schoolbooks. We're studying history, remember?"

As he floats up into the air, "Allright, Tyrfing... engage Training Mode."

There's an audible sigh from inside his mind, Koji, that's an old-time Belkan Knight. His defense index is going to be insane. We'll have to change up to give him a challenge.

Koji just replies, "Deploy bits Seiben through Zwolf."

Everyone else hears Ja Wohl. Deployed.

Now up above the group, the young man dispenses a little wisdom, "Okay, Alex... each Device has a Grimoire. It's the index of spells the Device has identified, either cast by others, or used by it. So tell your friend to access your Personal Grimoire, and see what you've got. Since you're running Belkan, most of it will be close-range and melee-related. You'll see classes with spells. They'll be in Old Belkan, but your brain will translate it to Japanese. Your basics, according to Tyrfing, are going to be Strikes, Boosters, Shields, and your Knight Armor."
Alexis Raskoph 2018-02-01 18:52:54 88453
"...So essentially you want me to run through an obstacle course of death while I'm getting magical artillery rained down on me," Stahlritter murmurs, his voice... significantly more booming than Alex's is out of henshin. Probably wahtever is helping modulate his voice through that thing is making it take on that quality.

His arms unfold, and his t-visored helmet turns up to look towards Koji when he speaks.

"German," he says then. "It's coming to me in German. Or probably Belkan, I guess? Since supposedly they're really similiar. I'm not native japanese, remember? But I think I get the idea either way. Sort of."

HIGHER-END SPELLWORK NOT POSSIBLE UNTIL RECOVERY AND REPAIR FINISHED, declares Kriegsfauste then, which prompts Stahlritter to wave a hand.

"As he says. I have no idea what exactly he means with that though, since he keeps saying that even when I ask if I'd be able to do more once my body's fully back to the norm from that whole coma thing."
Rashmi Terios 2018-02-01 19:04:29 88454
"No, more like you're gonna be running through trees while Koji-kun shoots high-power waterballoons at you," Rashmi grins. "And don't worry about Kriegsfauste. He's probably got a good bead on what you can do, and the more you practice and learn, the harder you can push yourself. Nicomachea and I were the same way, and Koji-kun and Tyrfing are... well, a bit more unique than that, but the theory applies."

Chuckling, she tosses her hair, setting her ankle-length plait swinging. "So! Take a jog out to the edge of the Barrier, and let us know when you're ready. Koji-kun, you good?"
Koji Silvia 2018-02-01 19:13:58 88456
From his perch high over the forest, half-way to the Dimensional Barrier's 'roof', Koji replies, "Waterballoons. Got it! Ready to commence operations!"

And he cannot help but smile as he says it and fans out his fingers, "Eins through Drei, Spion. Vier through Zwolf. Drucken Barret."

Once more in his mind, he hears the chuckle and the response from Tyrfing himself, Ja Wohl. You wanna just surround him and hit him hard right out of the gate?

Koji shakes his head, but says internally, "No, let's play fair. He might be a big time jerk, but that's in the regular world. Here he's just learning the ropes."

Tyrfing internally sighs, You're really lettin' her rub off on you kid. C'mon. Cut loose a little. Not like she'll know... and I can regulate the power enough so nothing REALLY bad happens...

"No Tyrfing. Training Mode."

Yeah yeah, whatever...

The silence is a heartbeat, and then the Bits sink down into the forest in various places, beginning to position themselves in cover while the cloaked trio come down to float close by Stahlritter and begin keeping track of him.

For Rashmi's benefit Nicomachea receives a ping from Tyrfing with a request to receive scanner data while the nearly invisible Bits begin to happily gather data.
Alexis Raskoph 2018-02-01 19:34:18 88457
"Yeah, yeah, alright..." Mumbles Stahlritter from underneath the helmet before he just straight up leaps off to one side. "I'll have Krieg send you a call when we're there!"

And off he goes. He doesn't fly like Rashmi and Koji tend to. He just... runs. And occasionally leaps. Faster than even the fastest non-magical human would be capable of, certainly, but still. It's a clear limitation on his own mobility, that.

At least both that and the size of the Barrier mean that he has time to think over his situation.

IF SUBJECTS KOJI AND TYRFING RUN AT LIMITED CAPACITY, PANZERSCHILDE WILL BE ABLE TO DEFLECT ANY INCOMING ATTACKS EVEN AT LOWER OUTPUT Kriegsfauste suggests internally to the boy.

"Maybe," Stahlritter himself mutters. "But I've seen this guy fight before. He has all those drones-- Bits you called them? They move more or less independently from each other. Panzerschilde might be a tough one to crack, but-- it's single-directional. We can't pull up a multi-directional defense like one of Rashmi's barriers, so with those numbers they would just get around it. And that's not even taking into account the mobility loss from having to maintain it."

EVASIVE MANEUVERS AT CURRENT PHYSICAL AND MANA CAPACITY OF ONLY LIMITED EFFICIENCY

"Yeah, I know. Even if my reflexes can keep up, my body might not."

A leap upward to bring him sailing above the trees for a few seconds-- more as an experimentive thing than anything else.

"...There is something else we can try, though, isn't there?"

Soon enough, the Knight comes skidding to a stop. And where he halts, he... actually brings up one gauntleted hand to tap at the 'air', just to see the reaction from the barrier. Yup. That's definitely the limit.

"Okay, give them the call, and-- let's switch it up."

JAWOHL

He holds his arms down in front of him, so that they cross together at the wrists, and-- with a bright flash of light and mana dust, the gauntlets themselves change. His hands themselves still remain similiarly covered in enlarging metal pieces, but from the wrist up-- there's chains, instead. Wrapping up all around his forearms.

GREIFERFORM
Rashmi Terios 2018-03-04 21:37:35 89262
The request is of course accepted, and screens begin to pop up in a semicircle around Rashmi. Kittens frolic and gambol in the lower left corner of her perception, as a largish magic circle spreads out to revolve beneath her feet.

<< SOLAR SHIELD >>

A dome of golden energy shimmers into view, then hardens, becoming a transparent shell. Adjusting her glasses, the redhead looks up at Koji, grinning. "He's given the signal, guys!"

"Go."
Koji Silvia 2018-03-04 21:46:12 89263
JA WOHL "Proceeding!"

The replies from the Unity Knight Team come at the same time to Rashmi as Koji moves himself down into cover of the forest.

At the same time...

The bushes around Stahlritter rustle ominously. Something moving back and forth between them, but as low as they are, it could be a rabbit or a small deer... but that thought is put to a lie as suddenly four bolts of energy salvo out of the woods towards the new Knight in a tight formation, followed up by another pair of blasts coming in from his left!
Alexis Raskoph 2018-03-04 22:07:53 89264
"Alright, let's-- go?"

PEW PEW PEW

Stahlritter's visor turns quickly off to the right to face the incoming volley of energy blasts from that direction, and--

PANZERSCHILDE

A gauntleted hand comes up, fingers spread open to leave the metallic palm exposed, only for a wide, red, triangular rune formation to form into existence and soak up the attacks. But-- there's nothing that can do for the pair coming in from the opposite side.

The Knight in the longcoat is forced to stumble a step or so along to set himself into motion even while the shield is held up to withstand the initial assault, though that collapses too to free him into more elegant motion of twisting himself just barely through the paired blasts.

"Scheisse--! Just as I thought--!"

The dodging motion is followed through with a stomp to the ground that launches him into forward momentum and a full on sprint. "Come on, Krieg! Let's give'm a show!"

The chains wrapped along his arms suddenly unravel, and take on an ethereal, red glow as the ends of them seem to rapidly grow exponentially in length and shoot outwards from Stahlritter himself, pushing and looping past the trees and reaching on out, almost as if feelers searching for targets. Or tentacles lashing out whatever they can reach.

And in a moment, there's not just two lengths of chain. Four first, then six, and eight, lashing out wildly in the vicinity of the rapidly travelling Knight, as if though forming a treshold of vines around him. Rapidly moving vines that rapidly wrap past obstacles and then withdraw again to go on to a different direction--

And eventually stab into a thick set of bushes like a spear.

THere were some lessons he maintained from his time as a Dark Energy Vampire, evidently.

But...

MAXIMUM OUTPUT REACHED

"--Seriously? Damnit. Let's just hope that's enough to give us some breathing room...!"
Rashmi Terios 2018-03-04 22:11:59 89265
"...Well that's different," Rashmi murmurs, watching the data coming in from the Spion bits. Nicomachea, put me through to Tyrfing?"

*bing!* << TELEPATHY. >>

<< Hey guys, throttle it back a little bit and get him moving, okay? Let's test what his range is with those things. >>
Koji Silvia 2018-03-04 22:21:20 89266
<< Dial it back?! Hey Professor, why don't you give her the data in MidChildian... geez... >>

Koji on the other hand, can't help but chuckle a little before he says back, << Sorry, Rashmi... Tyr-san is really into this.>>

Even with the chiding from the 'senior' magus of the three, Koji is still focused and he pulls the Bits out and away from the bushes as the chain spears stab in, acting like a small flock of sparrows that were avoiding a pouncing cat. Their response is to go right up into the higher cover of the tree branches and around and away from view once more.

"Leeres Messer."

Ja Wohl

So the tactic changes, and suddenly instead of six bolts of energy flying by Stahlritter, those small spear-point shaped things now all sport energy blades like thrown knives, and they begin to zip back and forth in hawk-like feints and strikes, while above it all and slowly moving leftwards, their operator uses his fingers to dance their paths back and forth.

Not bad, kid... you're getting better at this than I am... mind giving me a few to play with?

"Allright, launching Bits Dreizehn through Funfzehn. Under your control."

From his back, there's three little puffing-pop sounds as they emerge from hatches on the sides of the swordsheathe, and that trio goes spinning like a fighter squad into the forest below.
Alexis Raskoph 2018-03-04 22:41:47 89267
Down on the ground, Stahlritter is blissfully unaware of the communication between the two other magi, naturally.

So the only thing he can really acknowledge is the change in the tactic of the Bits harrassing him.

"...What's that?" A voice underneath the helmet wonders out, when his vision shifts over to see one of the chains react to one of the blade-tipped Bits coming in to the treshold area, lashing and whipping out in reaction. "...Are they probing?"

No time to think about that too much. Eight chain-whips. Too many to keep in control at once while still committing to other tasks. The volume is promptly reduced, down to four-- though with their length and rapid movements, the illusion of several more being present might still persist. At least this allows him to return to sprinting through the trees proper.

"Just put out enough of a pressure in the fifteen meter radius to increase my chances of dodging attacks that slip through when they start throwing more at once at us... although..."

A different idea suddenly runs through him. But he needs more intel for figuring out wether he can conduct it.

Chains rattle through the foliage, and abruptly enough-- the figure of STahlritter himself suddenly bursts up through the cover of the trees with a powerful leap that brings him flying up into the air above the trees, red mana chains whipping wildly about around him...

And in perfectly clear view for everyone else to see.
Rashmi Terios 2018-03-04 22:48:03 89268
"Ooooh," Rashmi winces, as Stahlritter blasts up through the trees. "That's a bad gamble."

<< Get'm, guys. Leave an out and see if he takes it. >>

Rashmi herself is pretty visible, even at this altitude and among the trees; a glowing dome of transparent yellow 'glass' is a pretty easy target to spot, after all, even if one ignores the movement of a large array of transparent screens, most scrolling various kinds of data.
Koji Silvia 2018-03-04 23:02:47 89269
For the moment, the sparrow-like blades are able to weave through the flailing chains, but none of them can get close enough to strike, and none either get close enough to be stuck down. It's a sort of cat and mouse game for a few moments as they continue their harrying.

However, when Stahlritter bursts through the canopy, Koji immediately drops back down into the cover of the trees and away from view, while at the same time, he sends all nine of the Bits back into the air, the six visible ones making a big stink of floating up in formation while the three nearly invisible Spion float out slowly between keeping themselves hidden and the data feeds floating, delivering what data that can be scanned off of the new Knight for Rashmi's own Nichomachaea to analyze.

The six blade tipped Bits circle slowly, and then form into two groups of three. They seem to quiver and get ready to move, and suddenly... they SNAP together into two large three-bladed Shuriken. Those begin spinning slowly.... only to be joined by a third one that comes up slowly from the forest, like a small pack of raptors.

"Zechzehn through Achtzen!"

And a FOURTH spinning-blade formation rises up, one to match each chainwhip.

But just when they seem ready to attack, quivering with purpose and seeming to telegraph their courses...

"LEERE LANZE!"

...all four snap open like one of those little fortune-telling paper toys, and from the center point of each a beam of blue enery lances out towards Stahlritter!
Alexis Raskoph 2018-03-04 23:39:30 89270
As was established before... Stahlritter doesn't have any flight magic. Or any manner of magic that allows for proper aerial control.

So being caught in mid-air with spears of energy flying at him from all sides is definitely a *problem*. A huge problem.

So time to improvise. Again. A hand comes held up towards the skies above, to form up the runic shield. It's not actually pointed at any of the incoming attacks, but it quickly becomes clear enough that he's not holding it up for the purpose of actual shielding.

Because he PUNCHES it with his other hand, and causes it to shatter into a violent explosion of energy that in turn propels him down that much quicker. Out of the way of the blasts, and...

Well. The downside of a quick, explosive exit like that does come with the velocity still being maintained even after he's already out of the way. All the way until he hits the ground with a heavy SLAM heralded by a loud *THUD* that echoes through the forest and sends dust billowing throughout.

It is the furthest thing from a graceful landing. The teenager bounces off the ground with a loud, pained "GAH!" and sends him ragdolling underneath the trees until he lands into the ground again-- but at least the second landing ends in a roll rather than another bounce into perpetual repetition of crashes.

"Okay, okay--" he growls underneath the helmet, then, while he makes to quickly scramble up onto his feet again. "Ow-- let's not do that again--"

Once standing up again, his fists bash against each other-- not for any particular purpose other than to focus himself, really, and a harsh growl resounds from within the t-visored helmet. "Let's see if that got them to all come down here...!"

I DO NOT APPROVE OF THIS PLAN

"Sometimes you just gotta gamble, Krieg!"
Rashmi Terios 2018-03-04 23:44:13 89271
The explosive exit pulls another wince from Rashmi, and she activates a second Telepathy spell searching for Kriegsfauste's carrier signal. << Okay, so um... advice. If you're going to do that, ave another shield ready to cancel your momentum. You could probably make an entire day out of playing with that all by yourself, come to think of it. >>

Carefully omitting any possible location information on Stahlritter from her link with Tyrfing, she links up again. << Well he kind of took the out. Let's lead him my way and see what he does to go on the attack? >>
Koji Silvia 2018-03-05 00:22:28 89272
<<I admit... that was inventive. Credit for balls.>>

Sadly, those intersecting streams of energy do not make the Bit formations blow each other up... the controllers are too smart and too well coordinated for that.

"And since this is a Dimensional Shift..." Koji muses out loud as he rides his own Flight ability up and into the air, his hands press out, fingers making motions as he re-directs his Device's swarm of remote parts to remain in the Lanze formations and to go to the far end of the barrier's reach.

They fire, and blue light colors the sky for a moment, the blasts seeming like they miss Stahlritter... except they have actually sliced down TREES! Trees that begin to fall towards the other pair in an attempt to push him directly towards where Rashmi is. What isn't cut is burned, and what's burned is lit on fire. No explosions like might be in a more urban setting, but were it not for the that that everything is one-half a dimension sideway... neither Koji nor Tyrfing would do this, especially this close to a temple.

<<Comin' your way, girl!>>